These selection criteria represent the principles and policies which will guide the county team coach and selection panel in the selection of swimmers for the National County Team Championships on Sunday 2 October. It is published for the benefit of clubs, parents and swimmers.
The aim is to select the best possible team to represent the county in the discipline of competitive swimming within the confines of the rules, the programme and the availability of swimmers for this event. It may be necessary for swimmers to swim a stroke which is not their best in order to obtain the best possible team. The panel reserves the right to decide which stroke will be swum by each swimmer.
The selection criteria are based upon current National County Team Championship rules and are subject to review and change at any time. There will be no automatic right to selection.
The selection panel will be made up of current members of Surrey County ASA, its age group sub-committee and the county team coach.
1. Following the Surrey County ASA Age Group Championships, the top 4 swimmers in each 100m event will be considered for team selection to represent the county at the National County Team Championships.
2. Swimmers who have not swum in an event at the Surrey County ASA Age Group Championships will still be eligible for selection, providing they have not swum in any other county’s age group championships during the same calendar year. The selection panel will use the British Swimming rankings database to form this selection. Qualifying swims must have taken place in the same calendar year as the National County Team Championships.
3. Rankings from all 100m events will be used as the basis for all 100m swims – no splits will be considered. Rankings from 50m swims will be considered for the 4 x 50m relay and 4 x 50m squadron relay, although these are no guarantee to secure a place on the team and is at the discretion of the selection panel.
4. Only swims achieved from licensed level 1-4 meets will be considered.
5. Swims from both short course and long course meets are eligible.
6. Long course times will be converted to short course, using ASA conversion tables. This is for comparison purposes only.
7. Where a long course time is achieved and the conversion matches the short course time, the selection will be decided by the selection panel.
8. The swimmer must be in regular training before the National County Team Championships and will be asked to sign a declaration along with a ‘fitness of health’ statement before the event. For the avoidance of doubt, regular training means more than six hours per week during September leading up to the competition.
9. Any swimmer who develops an injury during September and October must notify the county team coach and team manager immediately where further discussions will take place concerning their ability to participate.
10. The swimmer must be a member of a club affiliated to Surrey County ASA in the same calendar year and must be a current member of Swim England.
11. Final team selection will take place following the National Age Group / Youth Championships. The final team will be published on the Surrey County ASA website no later than Sunday 21 August. Swimmers will be notified in writing (via their home club) by Sunday 28 August. However, this is reliant on club availability during this time – so please keep an eye on the website.
12. Initial responses and acceptances are requested by Sunday 11 September. Where no response has been received by this date, a reserve may be selected.
13. Any challenge to the team selection must be received in writing to the team manager no later than Sunday 11 September.
14. The criteria above provide the guidelines for county team selection. But the selection panel retains the responsibility to use its discretion in the final selections.
Swimmers may be selected for a maximum of 2 individual events, 1 relay and the squadron. Swimmers may be selected for relay swims only, and it is highlighted that this is a valuable contribution to the county and your swim will count to the overall county score.
Swimmers will be expected to attend a county training session designed to prepare the swimmers for the National County Team Championships (date and venue to be confirmed).
Swimmers will be expected to travel to the event with the team, and may travel back with parents if they wish. Transport and accommodation for one night will be arranged for the swimmers.
There will be a team-bonding event held where all swimmers are encouraged to attend. The tentative time and date for this event is AM on Sunday 25 September.
8 Silver Lane
Click here for the criteria in PDF.